Here is a quick snack recipe that we often make at home. You can make this using just 3-4 ingredients available at home and it is versatile enough so that you can add or replace some of the things with whatever you have handy.
My husband and I love playing rummy. We usually play this to unwind and normally do not play for money. We have a little rummy circle within the apartment complex. Most of the time, the rummy plan is impromptu and made when we bump into the others on our late-night walks (I am talking of 10pm or beyond). By then, most of them are done with dinner and restaurants are also closed to order in. So this is a rummy-circle favorite snack that is light on the tummy and done in 5 minutes while the table is getting set up for the game.
- Store-bought split and spiced peanuts (called Congress Kadelekai in Karnataka) : 200 gms
- One large onion, finely sliced
- 1 green chili, finely sliced
- A handful of coriander, finely sliced
- Half a lemon
OPTIONAL ADD-ONS (as per taste & availability)
- One large tomato, finely sliced
- Spiced puffed rice, 100-200 gms (stored bought or homemade)
- Half a cucumber, cut into small pieces
- 1 carrot, shredded
- Half a teaspoon of the spicy & sour raw tamarind and chili chutney (if you want to spice it up!)
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
- Take a large bowl and add all the ingredients except the lemon
- Toss well until everything is mixed
- Squeeze the lemon on top
- Toss again until everything is coated
- Serve in bowls and garnish with a little chopped coriander
TIP: The snack can be made and kept to be used over 2-3 hours. However, if you are adding puffed rice it becomes soggy. So the puffed rice can be added on as & when needed just before serving.
This snack is usually made by my husband and has always been a hit. The serving is not too heavy to be had late at night when you just need something to munch. Do try it and let me know how you like it.