Ask any South Indian & they will tell you the importance of chutneys or tokku in their meals. Many are made to be had with rice, some to be had with idli or dosa. Some can’t be stored for more a couple of days. Here is one recipe that you can make and store for more than month in the fridge.
This is an unique chutney and if you love the sourness of the tamarind, you will love this dish. There is no cooking or tempering involved; it uses just the raw ingredients.
Image Source : Google. Raw Green Tamarind
- Raw Green Tamarind : 5-6 (size of index finger)
- Green Chilli : 50 no.s (YES…this is a spicy chutney. But the tamarind balances out the spice)
- Coriander : 1 bunch
- Garlic : 100gms peeled
- Salt : as per taste
- In a mixer, make a coarse paste of the Green Chillis, Coriander, Garlic & Salt
- Add 2 table spoons of cooking oil (I use sunflower oil).
- Remove & set aside
- Next, make a coarse paste of the Raw Green Tamarind
- Add the this to the earlier paste, mix well and voila the chutney is ready!
The above recipe makes 250 ml of chutney. This can be stored in the fridge in an airtight, glass jar for a month.
This chutney goes well with many things – as a dip for chips (if you like it spicy), as a dressing for salad (just add some olive oil), as a sandwich spread, as an accompaniment for curd rice, chapattis or paratas and much more!
As I LOVE all things sour, I am also trying out a variation by adding raw mango….will let you know how it turns out!